Sunday, December 9, 2007

As Promised the Kippah Pattern (Free)



Here is the promised Kippah pattern. Actually it is really 2 patterns in one. If you skip the lace portion and instead cast on the same number of stitches, knit 8 rows in garter stitch and follow the same directions for the decreases, you will end up with a beautiful man's Kippah!

Kippah Pattern

Materials: SockPixie's Sock Yarn In color Tea Rose
Needles: 16" US 1, and DPTS US 1
Gauge: 7 sts per inch

Loosely cast on 120 stitches. Join round, being careful not to twist. Follow the following lace pattern.

Lace Edging:

R1: K1, *YO, K3, (SL1, K2tog, PSSO) (this will now be referred to as dd for double decrease), K3, YO, K1* Repeat from *.
R2: Knit
R3: K2, *YO, K2, dd, K2, YO, K3* Repeat from * ending last repeat in K1.
R4: Knit
R5: K3, *YO, K1, dd, K1, YO, K5* Repeat from* ending last repea K2.
R6: Knit
R7: K4, *YO, dd, YO, K7* Repeat from * ending last repeat K3.
R8: Knit

Knit 2 rounds in garter stitch (Knit 1 round, purl 1 round).
Knit the next 2 rounds in stockinette stitch.

Decrease Rounds:

R1: *K8, K2tog* Repeat from *
Knit 2 rounds even
R2: *k7, k2tog* Repeat from *
Knit 2 rounds even
R3: *K6, K2tog* Repeat from *
Knit 2 rounds even
R4: *K5, K2tog* Repeat from *
Knit 2 rounds even
R5: *K4, K2tog* Repeat from *
Knit 1 round even
R6: *K3, K2tog* Repeat from *
Knit 1 round even
R7: *K2, K2tog* Repeat from *
R8: *K1, K2tog* Repeat from *
R9: *K2tog* Repeat from *

Continue with K2tog until 5 or 6 stitches remain. Gather the remaining stitches. Weave in ends.

16 comments:

donnadb said...

That's yarmulke. :) Beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Donna.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work. So good to know you have been busy. We are in Petaluma for now but I feel drawn east in spite of myself. Even my son wants to go to high school outside of California (at least I have 3 1/2 years to figure this one out).
The Petaluma knitting circle continues now on Mondays at the new Peets on the East Side. Ruth and I have plans to start a bilingual English Spanish knitting/crochet group at Lolitas (a Taqueria/Carniceria/Tienda/Soccer Store) on Lakeville in Petaluma.
I continue to write and do a bit of teaching in pediatrics....
So glad you are back to posting.
Best,

Mimi

Arlene said...

Sockpixie, thanks for this pattern. I made one last week out of some KP Essential Twist yarn, and it blocked out so well. I was very impressed. I gave it to a female Rabbi friend, it matched the socks I made from the same yarn.

tamdoll said...

This is great! Thanks for the pattern, I'm going to find some yarn and try it this week.

Anonymous said...

oy vay, lovely yarmulke! what a lovely idea.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the pattern. I changed it slightly and used crochet cotton to make it for my soon to be born great nephew's bris! I love it.

Anonymous said...

thank you for this pattern! I searched until I foudn this and foudn it very useful...until I reached a certain point. Perhaps this is an obvious question but (bare with me, I'm new to projects using the double ended needles)
When the pattern calls for:
R1: K8, K2tog, K8, repeat
Knit 2 rows
Do I knit the first section with decreases and finish the other two sections in that row in even knit OR do I continue with decreases all the way around and follow it with 2 rows of even knit (calling three rows R1)? Please help. Anyone? thank you.

Jennifer said...

For what it's worth, yarmulke and kippah are the same thing. Kippah is from modern Hebrew, while yarmulke is probably from Yiddish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarmulke

Unknown said...

Currently in the process of making one for my fiance. Probably the most amusing Valentine's Day gift he'll ever get!

Aja said...

This is a great pattern! But I'm a young knitter so I'm not sure if i've made a mistake or not. After row 7 of the decreasing (knit 2, k2tog), should I have 38 stitches or 39 stitches?, because it would work out perfectly with 39 stitches. I've have to knit backwards all the way back to this row and I'm not sure, but I must have made some mistake...

Best Kippah said...

Such a lovely pattern... I'm creating one for my daughter, she will definitely love this. Thanks for the tip!

Unknown said...

I started this kippah twice before I realized that you need to cast on 121 stitches. The pattern is 10 stitches with a knit one at the start of the round. This way the first round works. Each other round you just can't finish the pattern. I am on row 4 just about to start row 5. I will keep you posted when I finish the lace pattern. I may do a couple of extra lace rounds before the decreasing.
Thanks
Yola

Unknown said...

This is really interesting take on the concept. I never thought of it that way. I came across this site recently which I think it will be a great use of new ideas and informations. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Bar Mitzvah kippahs

best erectile dysfunction pills said...

Hello to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are nice designed for new users.

Anonymous said...

I just wasted an entire day until I saw the comment saying to cast on 121… you may consider editing if you still monitor this page